Tuesday, March 31, 2015

THE TRAINING IS OVER, TIME TO GET MOVING

Well, I guess I'm ready. In five short days, on Easter Sunday, I will be leaving for Spain. Until recently I've had some trepidation about walking the Camino de Santiago. This usually occurs when I wake up in the middle of the night and say to myself, "what was I thinking?" Actually I would say, "what the #$^#%^@ was I thinking?" Luckily that feeling has now passed and I'm really excited about my trip. I am no longer nervous about making my connection in London nor catching the train in Madrid to Pamplona. Things will work themselves out and I'm not going to worry myself sick about it. If I have to start the Camino a day later, so be it, it's no big deal. Receintly there has been a lot of snow in the higher elvations over the Pyrenees, but the weather has been improving. A couple of days ago the pass was still closed due to deep snow. If the pass happens to be closed when I get there, I'll just walk around it.

My training is complete. This past month I walked 104 miles and rode my bike 293 miles. When you add it all up since I started my training, I walked with my pack for 443 miles and rode my bike a whopping 1732 miles. I think I'm done training. I've packed my backpack various different ways to get the weight distribution just right. It no longer bothers me to carry the pack and I have no back pain. Since I learned the correct order in adjusting the straps on my pack, it actually feels somewhat comfortable on my back, so that is a good thing. My boots are well broken in and don't hurt my feet. In fact I've been a little concerned that I might wear them out before I get to Spain. After the shot of Cortisone, my shoulder has improved, although it still pains me sometimes. I'm not gonna let that bother me nor slow me down. I am ready.

I don't intend to blog every day while walking the Camino but only when I feel like I have something to say. So I won't be doing daily updates of, "today I walked X-number of miles from point A to point B." I'll keep the blog updated on my progress but not day-to-day. If you follow me on Facebook, I'll also be posting some photographs there on occasion. A lot will depend on when I have Wi-Fi. But please bear with me when I post on the blog as I will be doing so with an iPad app called Blogsy. I've used this app a few times and I'm still trying to get used to it. It does not have spell check. Also I'm going to be trying to dictate my narrative, so we'll see how that goes.

I feel that I've done all the preperation that I can do. So, lets get to it and see if it pays off.

 

7 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip and we look forward to following your journey. George and
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,
    Buen Camino. You will have been to SdC and returned home by June 6th which is when I will arrive there. But maybe we can meet up there on your next Camino. You will be bitten, of that I am sure!
    This upcoming Camino will be the 7th I have walked and I never thought I'd go back but the Camino has different plans for me. I can't stay away.
    Best of luck, I look forward to your updates.
    Buen Camino
    Arlène

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have a fantastic trip! I know it...and you know it too. Giacomo Soranno (Mino)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a note to wish you well on your marvelous adventure. The work you put into the preparations has been amazing and you should be proud of your effort. Thank you for sharing with myself and many others. Know that I will be keeping you close in my thoughts and prayers!

    Enjoy every minute, lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be safe and have fun Dana. Liz and I are on our way back from the Caribbean and the East coast. We will look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad all worked out as planned….hopefully you will get caught up on sleep.

    ReplyDelete