Tuesday, April 7, 2015

PLANES, TRAINS, AUTOMOBILES, AND A BUS FROM HELL

I'm sitting in the Atocha Station in the heart of Madrid as I write this. Everything went according to plan getting this far. Left San Diego on British Air on time and arrived in London ahead of schedule by 10 minutes. Traversed terminal 5 at Heathrow and got to my Madrid flight with time to spare. If you've never been to Heathrow you should know it's big. Follow the signs to "connecting flights", down to the underground train, take the train to the last stop, go up and through security, then walk to the terminal and wait till your flight appears on the electronic board. Flights are posted usually 1 hour before departure. As one would expect, my gate is the furthest away from where I'm sitting.

 

Arrived in Madrid and traversed it's airport. More of the same, go down to the train, take the train, which by the was seemed like we were traveling all the way into the city. Go back up, go through passport control, (no line by the way), walk to baggage claim. The suit case arrived, thank you British Air, find the bus into town, pay 5€ and get ready for an E-ticket ride. After a good 10 minutes of terror, we arrive at another terminal to pick up more victims. I figured we'd be in the city by now, but no, still one more terminal pick up. I probably shouldn't have sat in the front of the bus, but I made the mistake of wanting to see where we were going. It was a near death experience as Senior Mad Man weaved his way through heavy traffic trying to set an new land speed record. It was lucky that no one was injured or killed as suitcases and backpacks were flying out of the luggage racks.

 

We arrived in downtown Madrid in one piece and I walked the couple of blocks to my hotel. Nice room, but air conditioning is out of season here in Madrid. Dropped of my bags, and went to McDonald's for something to eat. I know, but it was late and I was starving. Finally hit the sack about 11:30 for some much needed sleep. But that didn't happen, I laid there and tossed and turned for most of the night in my nice but stuffy room. I think I managed about 3 hours sleep.

 

The next morning, up at 7:00 am, took my walking sticks from my suitcase and squeezed them in my back. By pre-arrangement, I walked to the B&B that Cathie and I will be staying in at the completion of my camino. About 15 minutes from my hotel, up the hill and up 4 flights of stairs. You could tell I was tied and hungry as the stairs about kicked my butt with both backpack and suitcase. Cathie is going to love this place, being on the top floor and all. Then back down the hill to a small cafe I spied on the way up, for my first cafe con leche and a croissant all for the price of just under 3€. Boy did that hit the spot. Then the short walk to the Atocha Train station to wait for my 11:30 departure.

 

Now at Corazon Puro Pension as I write this. Except for the lack of sleep, things worked out according to plan with no hiccups. Tomorrow I start for real,

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Now that was an adventure! It wouldn't have been complete without the ride with Madrid's own Mario Gonzales Garcia Hernandez Andretti! You've done the prep, almost time for the leather to hit the road. Happy Trails. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journey begins...but if the stairs kicked your butt, what about the actual walk. You're still my hero for even showing up. I know you'll get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice journey. Jet laggot me on both my Camino's. It gets better quickly. Buen Camino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the Camino Gods be with you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete