Thursday, July 16, 2015

A FINAL POST

I've been meaning to write a final post here on the blog since I arrived home over a month ago.  I've sat down at the computer several times do to so, but just couldn't formulate in my mind what to write. I took over 1500 photos on the Camino and I will be sharing some of them.   So, in an effort to get the post behind me, here goes....

OVER THE PYRENEES

First off, I've probably said it before, but the walking the Camino was the best thing I have ever done for myself.  Words can't describe how I felt when I completed my journey in Santiago.  The only way for you to know the feeling is to walk yourself, and I encourage those with the desire to do it.  When I arrived in Santiago, I was satisfied with my accomplishment.  I thought at the time and said so to fellow pilgrims, that I would not want to walk a second Camino.  But in the two months that have passed since completing the Camino I've changed my mind.  It won't be soon, but I do want to walk again.  I hope that Cathie will want accompany me and experience the journey with me, so we shall see.

LEE AND KEVIN

Besides the change that occurred in me while walking to Santiago, it was the people that I met, walked with, shared personal stories with and shared meals together that I will remember the most.  I knew before going to Spain that I would meet people from all over the world, but I didn't expect the bond that was formed between many of those I met.  I have mention some in a previous post, but there were many others that I did not mention.  Some our interaction was fleeting, lasting just a few hours or perhaps a day.  They were all a part of my Camino and I am enriched having met them.  Some I will never see or hear from again, but others will remain in my life if only on Facebook and via e-mails.  Two, Ivan from Australia and Kerstin from Germany have already stopped by for a visit  and over time I hope there will be more.

KERSTIN AND MARKUS MAKE SPAETZLE

IVAN ABOARD THE USS MIDWAY

I've been asked many times since arriving home if I had walked with a group as in a tour.  The short answer is no, I went by myself.  That having been said, most days I walked with someone.  It was the nature of the Camino, if you wanted company, there was always someone to walk with.  If you wanted to be alone, you could chose to walk by yourself.  So here's some interesting numbers.  When a pilgrim arrives in Santiago, most if not all go to the Pilgrims Office for their Compostela, which is a document which one receives after walking at a minimum the last 100 kilometers.  The Pilgrims office keeps a record of the numbers of pilgrims who complete the Camino.  There are many routes to Santiago and the totals include all who arrive, irregardless of which route they take.

In May, the month I arrived in Santiago, 31,078 received their Compostelas
55% were men
86.7% walked (others rode bikes, horses, and 3 arrived in wheelchairs)
27.5% were over 60 (so see, you can do it)
9,033 were from Spain (the most for one country)
3,671 were from Germany (the most for a foreign country)
2,033 were from the U.S.

6883 started in Sarria, Spain the minimum distance to obtain a Compostela
4,400 started in Saint Jean Pied de Port (where I started.)
66% walk the French Way (the route I followed)
237,799 Pilgrims arrived in Santiago in 2014

So, now you ask, Was it crowded?  Well, not really.  The last 100 kilometers was busy so I made reservations a couple of days in advance for lodging, but we weren't tripping over each other.


Most of the time I did not make reservations and never had a problem finding a room.  I stayed in a few albergues, but after experiencing the snoring, I opted for a private room.  More expensive than an albergue but with the exception of the Parador in Leon, I never paid more than 50 Euros and usually closer to 30 Euros.

I haven't done much walking since returning home from the Camino.  It was a simple time in my life. Each day for 34 days I walked, ate and slept.  Each day the same, but still so different with the changing landscape and the  various personalities who shared the journey with me.  Sometimes we hardly said a word and at other times we carried on deep discussions about our lives and our hope for the future.  I will miss the Camino, but most of all I will miss those that I shared it with.


NOW SOME SCENES FROM THE CAMINO
























































7 comments:

  1. Via -mail I wanted to sincerely thank you for your willingness to continue to share your travels and life adventures via your highly enjoyable blog entries. The pictures you take time to think out, post and explain are marvelous and appreciated. I am deeply grateful, and truly honored, to have 'shared' in your Camino experience via your thoughtful posts. Your writing is amazing and your willingness to honestly share your thoughts, feelings and emotions ... As I said, I am grateful. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a watershed moment for you. You appear very happy in those photos. That's the way retirement was meant to be. Hey...did you ever heal those blisters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, all the blisters have healed, but I'm still waiting for several toenails to fall off. No photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I miss it when I see the pictures! I'm so happy that we stay in touch Dana, it was so great to see you in San Diego. You know you're always welcome in Germany. Hugs from Yellowstone, Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Via Facebook, comment by Alexandre Aureliano Ferreira: Proverbs 18:24
    A man who has friends must himself be friendly,
    But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Via Facebook, Sarah Briec said, I too am ready to walk again and again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Need your reaction to "A walk in the Woods" movie. Has traces of your walk in Europe.

    ReplyDelete