Sunday, April 29, 2018

THE MESETA

OLD FRIENDS, NEW FRIENDS AND FUTURE FUTURE FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY



It’s mesmerizing in some ways, the Meseta, with it’s straight roads and vivid green fields.  Time seems to slow down as you pass through the towns and villages that the road passes through.  On some days the villages pop up every few miles, offering a place to sit and rest the feet.  Other times, the breaks are fewer and further apart.  Today was a tad over 10 miles with just the fields and the straightness of the road.  You are not alone, far from it, as the Camino seems to be crowed.








A few of the towns have been full at night with no beds available, forcing pilgrims to continue walking to the next town in hopes of finding a bed there.  For me, I continue to reserve a room in advance and have had no problems thus far finding a room.  For some it is the pilgrim way, just to arrive in town and find a bed, but it creates another problem as it becomes a race for beds.  It is said that once we pass Leon, the bed situation Improves with more albergues and other lodging choices.  I will continue to reserve ahead though as I like knowing in advance where I’m staying.








Today is Sunday and it’s a holiday weekend in Spain.  I hasn’t really affected the Camino as cafes, and other establishments catering to pilgrims remain open.  Some are saying that the holiday adds Spanish pilgrims to the Camino with some just walking a few days.


Also today, April 29th I crossed the 200 mile mark.  Not halfway yet but getting closer.  My feet feel pretty good especially after two long days of 15 and 13 miles.  Tomorrow I’ll take it easy and keep it around 10.


Still going slower than most, but in the towns I’m meeting up with other slow people.  Sometimes every night and at other times after several days without seeing them.  I’ll mention some of them here.


Right now across the table from me in the albergue bar is Jack.  A young man from New England who just graduated from high school and is starting college in the next semester.  I sat next to Jack several nights ago at a communal dinner and he related to me his experience with the snorers in the albergues.  As many tend to travel the same speed, one often sleeps in the same bunk room with the same people from night to night.  He told me he can now recognize pilgrims by their snoring.  “Oh, that’s Samuel from Italy just a few bunks away”.


Jeff and Deb, from Connecticut, who I met early on and we’ve shared dinner a couple of times.  They are writing a blog about their Camino.   Steph, from Iowa, who spent the last six years in Cambodia as a Missionary and is deciding what her next calling will be.  Then there’s Linda from Tennessee who is walking across Spain to her Wedding.  At the end of the Camino, she and her fiance have rented a beach front home to be married in.  There is a service here that will move your luggage ahead each day, and that’s what she’s doing with her wedding dress.  Brian and Elizabeth, a retired British couple who divide their home between England and Spain.  They are on a schedule as Brian’s favorite football team is in the finals and they must be home in time for the big game.  As I continue along I will include others who I have met.

Deb and Jeff’s Blog







This is Eduardo one of the hospitaleros at an albergue.  It’s breakfast and he’s serving coffee and hot milk, filling our huge coffee cups.  He’s a blur as he’s moving so fast.







Tomorrow I’ll take a short day, only 10 miles.  One must slow down and let the feet recover after 28 miles the past two days.


No comments:

Post a Comment