Friday, May 4, 2018

CONTINUING ON

ALWAYS TAKE THE SENIC ROUTE


As I write this I am on a day off in the city of Leon.  With a population of around 130,000, it is the largest city in this region.  Many pilgrims take a rest day in here as it is a good place to find whatever a pilgrim needs.  From simple albergues to 5 star hotels.  On my 2015 pilgrimage, I stayed in the upscale Paradore, but alas, it is now closed for renovations, so I’m in a much less expensive 2 star hotel in the historic district.


Still on the Meseta which will continue for another 2 days, then the landscape will change with a gradual increase in elevation to the high point on the Camino.  As I have mentioned before, walking the Meseta is not very strenuous in comparison to other sections of the Camino.  Besides being pretty level, the walking surfaces are mostly smooth gravel and dirt roads.  A lot of the time the route follows the highway making it somewhat unpleasant.  There are a few places where the trail splits and you have an option, the most traveled and direct route along the highway, or a less traveled route which rejoin the main trail some kilometers away.  The other day I opted for the less traveled route along the original Camino.  It follows the ancient Roman Road across the flat prairie, with only one town in two days.  The first day, there were fewer but still a significant number of pilgrims.  In the only town, all the beds were taken in the albergue and the pension.  The next day, most pilgrims made a left turn and returned to the more traveled route.  I opted to continue on.  About 15 miles of no towns and few pilgrims.  By the time in the afternoon when I rejoined the main route, I had only seen 4 pilgrims.


LEAVING SAHAGÚN

I HAVE FOUND THIS TO BE TRUE


THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

The next day on the walk into Leon, it was much the same.  Very few pilgrims and many opted to take the easy way and ride the bus into the city.


LEÓN BELOW

A THREE STORK TOWN

CITY WALLS

The weather as been cooler that normal for this time of year, with morning temperatures hovering around freezing, then warming to the mid 50’s in the afternoons.  Both cloudy and clear skies, with some small amounts of rain.  Add a little wind and it gets cold.  I’ve been wearing my rain jacket over my fleece most mornings to keep warm.  I actually snowed here in Leon last week, a rare occurrence this time of year.


Still going a slower pace than most, but in the towns and villages I sometimes catch up to those I have met before.  Not really a Camino family forming this time, but still plenty of conversation at meal times.  It is a much more solitary journey this time.  Not complaining mind you, as I am enjoying the solitude amongst the hoards.


My feet and body continue to carry me along without too much difficulty.  The other day I developed a small blister on one of my toes, but it is already on the mend.  I am careful to tape up those places on my feet that have developed blisters in the past as a preventive measure and to use lots of Vaseline on them.  Stoping during the day, removing my boots to let my feet air out, reapplying the Vaseline and changing my socks helps tremendously.  I don’t feel like I’m loosing weight, especially with what I’ve been eating, but I’ve only got one more notch on my belt before I need a new one.



JUST ANOTHER PILGRIM


STREET PERFORMER



LEÓN CATHEDRAL 



TAKING IT EASY IN LEÓN 


In 2015 when I walked, most readers know, I met some pilgrims who have become life long friends.  One, Isabel from the Netherlands, who I walked with for the last few days before arriving in Santiago, follows along on the blog.  She sent me a message the other day and said she was going to be in Spain in a city near Leon.  She is in Northern Spain volunteering at a facility that rescues donkeys.  So she hopped on a bus and we met up for lunch.  It was great seeing a fellow pilgrim and catching up on the latest news.




No comments:

Post a Comment