Saturday, April 11, 2015

CAMINO MAGIC

I am having a great time so far. The body is doing well with just minor aches and pains. The training has really paid off. Today I arrived in Pamplona just over 42 miles so far. Over the Pyrenees by far is the most difficult part. Up over 4800 feet with strong 40 to 50 mph wind gusts. About 1.5 miles in the snow, which thankfully was not deep, but still hard walking.

 

On the Camino one develops a Camino Family of sorts. People that you see every day and who you sometimes walk with. In the towns stopping for lunch and later for dinner the same people gather together for companionship. My family is starting to form. Lee from Singapore, Charlotte from Denmark, Kevin from England, Sarah from Australia, Sue and Jen from Canada. There are a few others, a Korean couple, she has walked before and this time with her husband. The group is in flux and will more likely change as we travel across Northern Spain.


I'm going to use the rest of this post to tell those who don't know too much about the Camino some of the things that are specific to the this journey. This won't be a complete list, so bear with me. It you need to ask.

 

When one walks on the Camino there are many routes that start from all over Europe all ending at Santiago de Compostela at the Cathedral. Although the scallop shell I carry on my pack represents many things, I think the lines in the shell represent the paths from around Europe that all come together at a point at Santiago. The route I am walking is the Camino Frances, just shy of 500 miles. Starting in France in St. Jean Pied du Port (St John at the foot of the pass), it crosses the Pyrenees and heads west through Northern Spain.

 

 
The path is clearly marked with yellow arrows and the scallop shell symbol as it passes through fields, over mountains through towns, villages, and large cities, such as Pamplona where I am now. A Pilgrim carries with him a Pilgrim's Passport which allows you to stay in the Municipal Albergues (think hostel) some of which has as many at 100 beds in a large room. (yours truly is now writing in his private hotel room) Many small hotels are called hostels or pensions which many times are small family run affairs. Many pilgrims opt for these places for their lodging.

 

The Passport also allows you to partake in Pilgrims Meals at restaurants along the way. Usually 3 courses with wine for around $10-$12. As an example, the other night my meal consisted of a bowl of spaghetti, which in its self was quite filling, next a tortilla, which in Spain is like a quiche potatoes and cheese baked in a pie shape. You get a slice. The second course also included a green salad, then ice cream or cake for desert. This is all washed down with the wine, also included.

 

If you are staying in most albergues, you must leave early, usually by 8 am and you can only stay one night. Sometimes an exception is made if you are injured or sick.

 

Over 100,000 people walk to Santiago every year on the various route, the Frances being the most popular. Even with that many people it is easy to walk alone if that is you desire. I have been walking with Charlotte from Denmark, and sometimes Lee from Singapore. Lee is having problems with blisters and may have to rest a day in Pamplona. Charlotte walks at the same pace that I do so we just sort of fell in together.

 

Yesterday we were walking and I saw a ribbon attached to a bush. On the ribbon was written "Griffith" which is my middle name. A short distance further a second ribbon, this time with the name "Catherine" on it. This is my wife's name spelled that way she spells it. If that's not enough, a little down the path was a flat stone with the name "Joel". Joel is my brother. Charlotte says this is a sign and that along the camino I will discover its meaning.

 

Another story about the camino. I stayed in a small pension and when I left the next morning it seemed like I had packed better as there was a little left over room in my pack. When I arrived at my next over night town and went into my pack for my sandals, it was then that I discovered that I had left them behind. So next door to where I was staying was a store selling hiking gear, so I bought a new pair of sandals. Later someone suggested that I call and perhaps I could have them delivered to my location. There is a service that transports packs for people from town to town. So I went back to the gear shop where I knew the young man spoke English. Without hesitation he called the place I left my sandals, and they found them under the bed. Then they brought the sandals to me and would not accept payment for their trouble. That my friends is what the camino is about. I do have two pair of sandals though.

 

Oh, by the way, I have been given a new name. On the Camino I am called, Dana Diego.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. You could have the "shell" symbol printed on a flag and fly it from your windmill.
    Cheers, D&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea about the flag, I might be able to find one here in Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome story about the sandals. Very cool to have that kind of sense of community among virtual strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana Diego:
    Second blog on your Camino and you have already experienced the unexpected ways this adventure will take you. The ribbons, stone and sandals will find their meaning along the Camino. Thanks for sharing. Hope to walk in your footsteps one day.

    ReplyDelete