Tuesday, May 5, 2015

CRUZ FERRO

Long ago I passed the halfway point, now I've walked 350 miles and have 135 to go. The Meseta is behind me of which I really enjoyed with it's special kind of beauty. After Astorga, a city famous for it's chocolate, the path begins to climb. After two days of steady but gradual climbing, I reached the Curz Ferro, or Iron Cross today. It is located very near to the highest point on the Camino at just shy of 5000 feet. The site consist of a tall wooden pole topped with an iron cross. This is said to be an ancient monument, first erected by the Celts, then dedicated by the Romans to their god Mercury, the protecter of travelers.. In the 9th century it was crowned by the cross and renamed as a Christian site. For centuries, pilgrims have brought a stone to the place carried with them from their homes to represent their burden. The stone and their burden are left here, leaving the pilgrim lighter for the journey ahead.

 

Today, not only do pilgrims bring a stone, but all sorts of symbolic items are left behind. It that vein I have brought with me such an item.

 

About two weeks before leaving for the Camino, a friend and colleague died. I spoke to his wife and told her of my Camino and the Cruz Ferro. I offed to carry with me an item of her choosing in remembrance of her husband. He had attend the seminary for seven years studying to become a priest before deciding to become a policeman. He had a particular sense of humor, which at times got him into trouble. When going through some of his effects trying to find an appropriate item for me to carry, his wife came upon a small religious metal for Saint Dymphna. Saint Dymphna is the saint of the insane, a very appropriate item to represent my friend as he was just a little bit crazy.

 

I have also been carrying my own stone, which for me represents my old way of interacting with my family. By leaving it at the Cruz Ferro, I am leaving the old way behind and will endeavor to be a better person, husband and father.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Obviously a very inspiring journey Dana. The end is nearer. Maybe a new beginning of sorts. God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I am teary eyed right now. You've met Jesus on this trek and he loves you very much. So do I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, meaningful post, Dana!
    Ultreia my friend!
    Arlène

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all the the kind comments

    ReplyDelete