Saturday, May 16, 2015

THE CAMINO ENDS, OR DOES IT

After 780 kilometers, 484 miles, walking in forests, over mountains, along highways, narrow country lanes, and across the plains, I made it to Santiago de Compostella in 37 days with just 3 days off. The last day I walked with Isabel and young woman from Netherlands and between us we decided to push it the last day walking 12.5 miles in 4.5 hours, arriving in Santiago by 11:30. Before we arrived we discussed wether or not we wanted to arrive in front of the cathedral alone. We both agreed that we wanted to share the achievement. It was an emotional finish to a fantastic personal journey across Northern Spain. Although, not to the point of tears, we were both elated to have finally arrived.

 
 
Our Arrival
 

 

I have since been asked how I felt when I arrived. Of course I was happy to have completed my walk and thankful that I had made it safely, but when asked to expound on my feelings I find it very difficult to put into words just how I felt. I have asked some of my Camino friends if they could explain exactly how they felt upon arriving in front of the cathedral. None could do so. We all agreed that the only way to know is to walk the Camino yourself. It is a special feeling.

 

After a celebratory meal, sitting where we could watch other pilgrims arrive, we headed to the pilgrims office where we were issued our Compestellas or certificates honoring our completion of the Camino. I met up with Alex and Len, my earlier walking companions and had my second celebration. After that it was a blur of running into Camino family, both those who arrived before me and those who arrived after. Some you may have seen on the final day of walking and others who you may not have seen for weeks. It's hugs all around every time you see someone and you share in their excitement of having completed their own personal journey.

Terry, Ivan and Richard

 

In line for our Compestellas
Isabel, Carmen

 

You almost need a social calendar here in Santiago. Meet Kevin in front of the cathedral, have lunch with Howard and Joy, hook up with Ivan for Tapas and dinner with Len and Alex. I'm glad I am able to be in Santiago for 3 days in order to spend this special time with my Camino family. Most of these people I will never see again. A few, maybe. Even though I've only know them for a few short weeks or even days, I will miss each and everyone of them. We may have walked for different reasons, but we each shared a part of the journey with each other. The companionship we had can never be duplicated or explained adequately.

Doug, Cris, Kevin, Cody, Alex and Len

Michael, Terry, Isabel and Jackie

 

As for me personally, this journey from France and across Northern Spain has changed my life. It's difficult to explain and put into words, but I feel it. For me it is a new beginning. It may take time for my family and friends to fully recognize the difference, but there will be a difference. To my children and grandchildren, I love each and everyone of you. I know I have not adequately expressed this to you before, but I do now. And Cathie, my wife of over 44 years, I love you very deeply and I would never want to lose you. I am thankful for your support in this my personal journey. I know it is difficult for you to understand what I have experienced, but over time I hope it will become clear to you. I also hope that someday soon you will be able to experience what I have and walk your own Camino.

 

In the morning I fly to Madrid where I will await Cathie's arrival and we will begin our trip from Spain, across France and ending in Germany.

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you for sharing Dana. Honestly, in your prep for this, I thought you were nuts. Now, I have to say that it truly interests me. I thoroughly enjoyed all of your blog posts and your Facebook postings, to the point that I'd ask Liz when I first saw her after reading, "Hey did you see what Dana posted?"

    Again, thank you for sharing your journey.

    Randy, Liz and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I have followed your pilgrimage with every post. You have my greatest admiration for this marvelous accomplishment, and my greatest jealousy for something I truly wish I had experienced myself. Thank you for sharing in such a wonderful manner, putting a face on the journey of a lifetime through your gift of writing.
    Sincere congratulations.

    Carole Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    That has been an epic journey for you (I guess in more ways than one) and you have really achieved something special. Well done.
    And this has also been one of the most compelling blogs of yours that I have ever read and I have really been looking forward to the next installment....and have really shared in your journey.
    Now you can have tiime to relax, amble along at a snail's pace if you so wish and meet up with Cathie for hopefully a sunny, thrilling and enjoyable holiday.
    What a feat!!


    Annette McAnespie
    Hazelwood Farm B&B
    Crayke
    York

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a beautiful entry on your blog. Well done, Dana. What an accomplishment, in many more ways than making it all of those miles on your own two feet. Thank you for carrying my stone. I feel like you left some burdens of mine over there and I thank you for being willing to carry that extra weight for me. I will not forget that you showed me that kindness. Because that was very kind and thoughtful of you to do that for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some comments here that I have posted from my e-mails in case you're wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dana,

    What a beautifully written blog! I shared the link with my family and friends. I am glad we shared that moment and that we saw eachother yesterday again for a last goodbye!
    Have fun on the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete