Saturday, May 9, 2015

GETTING CLOSER

 
I am now in Sarria, a city on the Camino about 110 kilometers from Santiago. It is from here that one must walk if they wish to obtain a Compostella, or a certificate of completion, upon arrival in Santiago. The way becomes crowded from this point, with new pilgrims, wearing clean smelling clothes and no mud on their boots. Many will not be carrying a back pack, having their luggage transported in a van to their next hotel. Those of us that have walked from France feel superior to the new pilgrims, but each his own. It is their Camino to walk as they wish, as is mine to do it way that I choose. We are all pilgrims, some choosing to do the camino differently than I.
PILGRIMS ON A BUS
PILGRIMS ON HORSES
PILGRIMS WITH A DONKEY

 

Tomorrow I will pass the 100 kilometer mark, or 60 miles. I have slowed down some to save the feet, but the other day I walked 17 miles almost entirely on pavement. The dogs were barking at the end of the day. Five more days of walking will put me in Santiago. I don't know if I want my Camino to end or not. It's a simple, uncomplicated life, walk, eat, sleep. The next day do it again. It will end though, and I do look forward to meeting Cathie in Madrid.

 

WALKING ON PAVEMENT, NO BUENO

 

ENTERING GALICIA THE HOME TO SANTIAGO

 

Yesterday, also a long day, was the climb to O Cebreiro, the last mountain to go over. Actually once one reaches O Cebreiro, there is still some more up hill to the high point on the trail. At 7 am I left my lodging for the night in the rain. Then the sun came out just long enough to tease me with it's warmth. Upon reaching the first bar in the small hamlet of La Faba I stepped inside to warm up and to have breakfast. Breakfast on the Camino usually consists of orange juice, cafe con leche, and toast. Then back out into the storm. The path going up is rugged and steep, but after about 5 hours I was at the high point. This was the first time that I got really cold while walking. The temperatures dropped, I was in the clouds, with the wind howling and the rain peppering my face. I took shelter in a conveniently placed bar to remove my rain gear and put on another layer underneath. Of course it wasn't long before the sun came out again and then you either sweat or take off the pack, and reduce your layers.

LOOKING BACK

 

O CEBREIRO

 

It was on this same day that I became a criminal. I had lunch in a small village bar consisting of an ice tea and an empanada. Total cost had to be under 5€. When you eat in a bar, one usually orders their food at the bar and returns to pay when you are finished. After eating, I walked outside, put on my pack and headed down the mountain. I had walked about 30 minutes when I realized that I hadn't paid for my meal. Should I turn around and go back up? I had enough up for the day, so that wasn't happening. I continued going down the mountain, half expecting the police to show up at any minute. I decided that when I reached my stop for the night, I would send my payment to the bar in the mail. Then I hit on a better idea. One of my original camino family was one day behind me. So upon arrival at my overnight stop, I sent them a message via Facebook and by promising to buy them many beers, they agreed to stop and pay my bill. Such is Camino Family.

KEVIN COMING UP THE HILL
HOWARD AND JOY, HADN'T SEEN THEM IN DAYS

 

Speaking of Camino Family, sometimes you see people you know everyday. Other times when you haven't seen someone of a long time you wonder what has happened to them. Today shortly after starting out of the day, I heard someone behind me call my name. It was Kevin, who I hadn't seen since Burgos, 17 days ago. We walked into Sarria together and we are at the same hotel. It's always great when you re-connect with someone on the Camino. Of course you're always meeting new people too. The community among pilgrims from all over the world is one of the many benefits of walking to Santiago.

KIRSTEN AND HER MOTHER, GERMANY
This is Ursula from Germany who I met on the first day of my Camino. She sometimes takes the bus to jump ahead, then I catch up with her again.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Francisco AnguianoMay 12, 2015 at 9:16 PM

    Crime and justice in the Camino, finding more about yourself and commiting to change, and becoming a criminal only to have your "family" bail your conscience. Truly enjoy the blog. Only a short way to go, but a lifetime of nemories. Soak it up. Buen Camino Dana, Santiago de Compostela is within your reach.

    ReplyDelete