Wednesday, April 12, 2023

GETTING THERE

One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.



I have a tendency when posting to the blog, to write it as though everyone who reads it is a Camino Veteran, or at least have been reading the blog since it’s inception.  I’m gonna have to change that as there are many who read the blog have little or no knowledge about the Camino.


So, about getting there.  Depending on where you live will have some bearing on how and on what airline to fly to Europe.  Many fly to Paris, then train to Saint Jean Pied du Port, the start of the French Way.  I have always, (4 times) flown to Madrid.  For me my choice of airline has been British Air as they have had a direct flight from my home town to London.  Change in London, arrive in Madrid in the evening, hotel it for a couple of nights, then Train to Pamplona.  On my first two Caminos, a daily bus in the afternoon to SJPP. The past Camino and now this one I chose to start walking from Pamplona.


British Air has been late more times than not recently for their daily flight according to Flight Aware.  My flight was no exception.  The incoming BA flight from London arrived on time, but the return flight left the gate 1 1/2 hours late.  Why you ask?  Well it seems that the catering truck bring our dinner to the plane was involved in an accident. The delay for the food caused some of the crew to be “timed out” and had to be replaced.  Arriving in London meant instead of 3 hours to change to my Madrid flight, I had 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Just made it.


Upon arrival in Madrid, I’ve never had a line at passport control, just walk right up, get your passport stamped and you’re good to go.  There is a bus, when you make your exit outside, that will take you to the Atocha Train Station in the city center.  It costs 5€ and takes about 30 minutes to get downtown.  In the past it was a yellow bus, but they managed to confuse me and changed it to blue. Of course you can take a taxi, but then it’s gonna cost you about 40€. It is from Atocha where you can catch a direct train to Pamplona, the next day if you arrive in the evening.  Plenty of places to stay near the train station and it’s within walking distance of Plaza Mayor and many historic sights in the old part of the city. You can pay a lot for a upscale hotel, but there are many smaller Hostels (think small hotel) that are very reasonable.


PLAZA MAJOR

ATOCHA TRAIN STATION


A word about the Spanish trains.  The trains are clean, fast and on time.  Renfe, Spain’s rail system web-site sucks.  If you book early tickets are cheaper, if you try to book too early, more than 6 to 8 weeks out, you may not find your desired train.  Renfe doesn’t post it’s trains till closer to the date of departure.  The site crashes, times out, and is frustrating to use.  Petrabax, an American travel company sells Spanish Rail tickets and their web site seems to have tickets before Renfe posts them on their site.  You’ll pay a little more, but there’s comfort in knowing you have your ticket.  That being said, I have never been on a train in Spain that has been full.  Perhaps I’m just lucky.




While in Madrid, I bought a new pair of trekking poles, as TSA says you can’t carry the on.  Also a Spanish Sim card for the phone.  I have found that purchasing one at an independent store or tobacco shop is the most economical.  I purchased a Movistar 4G card with 15 gigs good for 30 day for 10€. I can add time or data to it when needed.


Getting here was pretty seamless.  With the exception of my late arrival in London and rushing to catch my connecting flight, it all was smooth.  As I write this I am on the train to Pamplona where I will start walking.  Looking forward to getting started.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled for you. Looking forward reading all your stories. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you follow along pilgrim

      Delete
  2. Buen Camino Dana!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy walking……..or whatever the terminology is! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes technology doesn’t keep pace with our fast pace world. Glad you made it safely there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for including us in your journey. Maybe someday, we'll walk the same path. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete