Friday, April 7, 2023

I'M OFF THEN

IT IS GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARD,

BUT IT IS THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS





Well, I think I'm ready.  I am a little concerned that I haven't trained enough.  For past Caminos, I walked greater distances in preparation than this time around.  I'm hoping that the fact that my training at 5,500 feet in elevation will make up the difference, so we shall see.  I am not taking my drone this time, but will still take video with my GoPro.  Being somewhat anal-retentive, I have booked ahead up until Santiago.  I like knowing that I don't have to look for a bed when I arrive in a town.  Yes, it does take away from some flexibility, but for me it is a less stressful option.  I hope to walk father than Santiago on to Muxia and I will book those nights as they get closer.

This is what's going in my pack: Rain jacket, Fleece, (1) short-sleeve tec T-shirt, (1) long-sleeve hiking shirt, (1) short sleeve hiking shirt, a wool beanie, mesh bag with toilet articles and medicine, iPhone, iPad Mini w/charging cables, GoPro Camera, power bank, (2) plug adapters, ear buds, (1) pair convertible hiking pants, (1) pair boxers, (2) pair underwear, (2) pair double layer socks, sandals, 1/2 of a towel, small first aid kit, tape for blister prevention, small tube of Vaseline, for the feet, and Camino guide book.  I will add a small first aid kit, clothes pins, extra boot laces, and an extra pair of boot inserts.  This list does not include what I'll be wearing, with the exception of my sandals.  Boots will be in the pack for the trip to Spain.  This all goes in my 36 liter Osprey Pack.  I also have a balance pack, which attaches to the straps of my pack that I wear in the front.  I used it on a previous Camino and it worked well, so it's going again.  The balance pack will carry my iPad, phone, guide book, glasses and snacks.  My pack includes a 1.5 liter hydration bladder.

A word about trekking poles.  I use them and find that not only do they help with balance, but when used properly, they take pressure off your joints.  There is a lot of discussion on various web sites that cater to pilgrims about poles.  The question always comes up, “Can I carry my poles on the plane.”  The answer is no.  According to TSA, they are forbidden as a carry on and must be checked with your baggage.  That doesn’t end the discussion though, as someone will invariably say, “I carried mine on from Denver with no problem”.  Others say, "they took mine from me in Los Angeles".  It goes on and on.  A recent post on the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook page had about 30 comments, from it’s ok, and it’s not ok.  TSA says no.  On my last Camino, I checked them and British Air lost them, so this year I will buy a pair upon arrival in Spain.

I leave on Easter Sunday for Madrid, with a change in London.  I have 7 weeks, which should allow me to walk at a leisurely pace and include a few days off. Even though I'm a little anxious about getting there,  I plan on doing the following:



6 comments:

  1. Once again into the breech. Please be careful my friend. I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Dana! That's a great introduction to your trip. Keep up the good writing, be successful, and have fun.
    Love,
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe trip! I'll be watching for your updates. Cheers, Jody T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “I also have a balance pack, which attaches to the straps of my pack that I wear in the front.”

    What kind of balance pack? Can you share a picture or where to buy? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a AARN, made in New Zealand. I bought it on line from an American distributor of AARN products. Unfortunately that was some time ago and I can’t remember the name of the distributor. Try googling it. As for the photo it seems I can’t post one here, but I will post in a few days on the blog

      Delete